Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

5 August 2009

Metalworks.

Wandering around Shimla, I've often discovered lovely examples of woodwork and masonry, some of which has found its way into this blog. But I haven't yet mentioned the interesting specimens of Shimla's metalwork: in grills of balconies, in fences and even on garbage bins!

The metalwork you see below can be found outside the Police office just above CTO. The complex belonged to an erstwhile royal family, which proceeded to place its coats of arms on the fencing!




This grill you see below is part of the balcony of Jodha Niwas. This building is quite unlike others in its vicinity and indeed unlike many other buildings in Shimla, in that it has integrated a lot of Hindu design elements into its facade. If you look carefully, you will observe that the figure is that of the Hindu deity Lakshmi with adoring peacocks looking up at her.




This interesting example of metalwork is from a garden fence of a house near the US Club.



This funny little floral metal piece was probably a decorative detail of the pillar of a gate. I wonder if it had some sort of a light on top at some point.




This little piece decorates the steeple of one of Gorton Catle's turrets:



Walking past Railway Board Building, if you happen to look up, you will discover this beautiful facet:



This little piece of Anglocana is visible all over Shimla on fences and railings. I found this particular instance in the railings along Oakover:



We pass these dark green garbage bins in Shimla daily. They too are adorned with an interesting design element!


2 comments:

Rohit Sharma said...

I must commend that you discover nice subject and appropriate elements in your surrounding environment. KUTGW

Cheers!

Geetali said...

Thanks, Rohit, for dropping by. We're surrounded by beauty. All we ned to do is keep our eyes opwn, isn't it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails