Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

15 February 2011

Give me one lonely hour to hymn the setting day.



  

Slowly the west reaches for clothes of new colors
which it passes to a row of ancient trees.

You look, and soon these two worlds both leave you
one part climbs toward heaven, one sinks to earth.



leaving you, not really belonging to either,
not so hopelessly dark as that house that is silent,
not so unswervingly given to the eternal as that thing
that turns to a star each night and climbs-



leaving you (it is impossible to untangle the threads)
your own life, timid and standing high and growing,
so that, sometimes blocked in, sometimes reaching out,
one moment your life is a stone in you, and the next, a star

~ Rainer Maria Rilke ~ 







have heard the sunset song of the birches, 

A white melody in the silence, 
I have seen a quarrel of the pines. 
At nightfall 
The little grasses have rushed by me 
With the wind men. 
These things have I lived," quoth the maniac, 
"Possessing only eyes and ears. 
But you -- 
You don green spectacles before you look at roses.
~ Stephen Crane ~ 




12 comments:

D Naruka said...

Brilliant pics. Esp. love the golden hue in the last one.
Bon wkend.

D Naruka said...

Hey u haven't written for a while so I was wondering if all was okay. I keep coming to this Feb post as the latest one, whenever I log on your blog.
Hope all is well.
Best.

Richo said...

Hi there,
I really enjoy your blog and have been coming back to see if there are any updates, but no.
I, too hope that its only that you haven't been in the mood or had time.
I spent 2 months in Shimla, and loved it in 1987, when I was a medical student working at the Indira Ghandi Medical Centre. (such a long time ago!)
I expect there have been some changes since then (smile)
best wishes,
Richard.

Geetali said...

Dear Deep Sea & Richo. i'm deeply grateful for your comments. And touched beyond words.
The reason why I haven't updated the blog is that I no longer live in Shimla.
I thought of doing a goodbye post, but the logistics of moving from a town you love to one you never have and never will overwhelmed me.
I have many happy memories of Shimla. And many more photographs to share, but life is... as I said ... a bit overwhelming right now.
Thank you again.

D Naruka said...

Oh dear! Sorry to hear that SG! I dropped by today to check on your welfare again and am glad that you are okay. Although its so sad that you won't be writing on the blog again - I always enjoyed visiting, reading the posts and seeing the snaps - so never say never and do hope all your readers get to enjoy your writing again!
I am in a transitive state myself so I quite understand your sit. Hang in and meantime, good luck with your new moves.

India Holidays said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Destitute Rebel said...

Hello,
Greetings from Lahore Daily Photo, I have moved out of Lahore thus the irregular postings, I'm trying to get some help, hopefully Lahore Daily photo will be back up soon for regular posting. We have also been nominated for Pakistan Blog Awards, I would appreciate your support. Details are on today's post.
Thank You.
Http://lahoredailyphoto.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Very good composition...
picturebite.com

shirin goel said...

classic…
mumbaiflowerplaza.com

hyd said...

Awesome…
hyderabadonnet.com

Rajnish said...

Hi Geetali,
Check this out:
http://rajnishonline.blogspot.in/2012/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

Jamil Ahmed said...

HI GT, Bibi yeh aapka intellectual banbaas kuchh lamba nahin ho gayaa. Ijust hope & request to please put an end to it and some timevisit SG. (I, like many others still visit it regularly)

Related Posts with Thumbnails