Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

11 September 2008

Another Favourite Place in Shimla:



This post office is located in Chhota Shimla. I pass it each time I visit B & S (not Bourbon & Soda, I assure you!). But since the visits are usually on the weekend, I have always found the place shut, and have, therefore, been unable to walk in for a chat about its life and times with the staffers.
Since I am partial to blue, on the prettiness factor, I rate the Chhota Shimla post office higher than the one in Chaura Maidan. And everyone knows how dearly I love the latter place.
I have rhapsodised elsewhere about the romance of letters, and ink-wells and post offices, so I won't go into that again. My fond wish is that some day - some day - the government offices in India wake up and start constructing pretty public buildings such as this one.

1 comment:

gypsy said...

Wow...that's nice, I too share admiration for the old buildings and especially architecture like this...

Not only this post office-the whole walk from Chotta Shimla to Mall Road is fabulous...

Related Posts with Thumbnails